Register   |   Login

Print

[Technical Inquiry] Problems with ADAM 6050 and sensor. All DI are always ON

Problems with ADAM 6050 and sensor. All DI are always ON

Hi!

I'm new to the ADAM 6050, but I have now tried everything i could think of regarding this problem. Please help!

1. When using Adam .NET 2.04 and accessing the device all the DI channels are ON even if there is nothing connected to the ports. Is this correct?

I have connected a 24V power source to (R) +Vs and (B) GND.

2. I've also tried to connect a photoelectric sensor to one of the DI contacts but I do not get any value change in Adam.NET when it is trigged.

The sensor is a Datalogic S3Z. 3 wire sensor. I tried to connect it as follows:
+ wire (brown) to (R) +Vs on 6050.
- wire (blue) to (B) GND and iso GND on 6050.
sinal wire (black) to DI11 on 6050.

when measuring with an voltmeter over DI11 and iso GND I got 24V when the sensor has detected an object and 0V when not detecting anything. The value of DI11 is not changed in the 6050 however...

How do I continue?

Hello,
Yes, the DI will be "1" by default.  The module has dry contact Digital Inputs, also called sourcing.  Meaning the DI terminals have a Excitation voltage present.  When the DI is shorted to Iso GND the logic changes to "0".  You can change the logic meaning for each DI in the Utility, expand the navigation tree on the left until you see the DI and enable the "Invert" function.

Your device is known as wet contact, meaning it provides the excitation voltage.  This is trying to attach a sourcing transmitter to a sourcing receiver.

The datasheet shows the values that the module is expecting; >10VDC for "1" and <3VDC for "0".  Even though you say the device is measuring 0VDC when not detecting anything - that is not the complete picture.  The circuit is actually "floating", also known as a Open Circuit.

That means the module is not seeing the <3VDC value that would cause it to change the logic to "0".  It's own +3VDC excitation prevents it.

You will need to wire the module and sensor as seen in the attached.
Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments

Hi!
Thanks!! That did the trick. ;)

Quote:
Original posted by benDOTmorgan at 2012-5-30 07:02
Hello,
Yes, the DI will be "1" by default.  The module has dry contact Digital Inputs, also called sourcing.  Meaning the DI terminals have a Excitation voltage present.  When the DI is shorted to Iso...
I don't like how Adam device works - it alters the input source voltage, which is not nice. It adds "excitation" voltage to the input (!!??) without an option to disable that so you need to use resistors so it can "understand" the signal it messed up in the first place..  

How hard is it to work as a standart $5 usd multimeter, where it measures voltage without interfering with the signal. In some sensitive systems i think it's not a good idea to use it.

Quick search in Advantech Support Portal