Register   |   Login

Print

[Technical Inquiry] Connect to ADAM 5510EKW/TP over ethernet using LabVIEW

Connect to ADAM 5510EKW/TP over ethernet using LabVIEW

Hi,

I'm working on an application with several ADAM-6050 devices and one ADAM 5510EKW/TP fitted with 5017P and 5050 modules. I need to be able to connect to these via LabVIEW. I have a 6050 and a 5510 working over our LAN and I can succesfully read and write DIO to/from the 6050 using LabVIEW and the free download modbus tool from NI.

However I can't yet succesfully communicate with the 5510. I find the 5510 manual particularly difficult to comprehend, and I'm seeking assistance in setting the device up correctly.

I have been trying to read the AI and DI directly, using addresses found in the modbus section of the 5510 manual (section 5.3.1, where I'm told that SCADA or HMI software can directly access the addresses using the 1x and 3x modbus commands). e.g. a 5017P module in slot 0 has address locations 40001 to 40008, a 50500 module in slot 2 has addresses 00033 to 00048. However, reading these elicits no meaningful response. Analogue reaings appear random numbers and are fixed when read repeatedly irrespective of activity on the inputs. Digital readings are low (0) irrespective of activity on the inputs.

The approach I am using is just the same as the one which works for the 6050.

Am I supposed to set something else up in the 5510 first in order to access the data?

Best regards,

Bandit.

Hello,

To access the Modbus data from outside (Modbus/TCP or Modbus/RTU) you need to move the onboard I/O data to the reserved Modbus address in ADAM-5510KW. Once you move for example ADAM-5017P CH0 to %MW3.0, then you will be able to access the Modbus address 42001 by using some Modbus tools such as Modscan32 or the LabView with Modbus driver.

Please kindly refer to the attach portion of the user's manual on how to setup the Modbus address in the ADAM-5510KW.
Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments

Thanks for your reply Jason.Ng, I'll give that a try.

Best Regards,

Bandit

So far no progress.

Both the 5510 manual and the instructions from Jason.Ng state modbus address is defined from 42001 to 49999, and then show Modbus address for bool data type as 02001 onwards???

Followed the instructions on page 5.14 to 5.17 of the 5510 manual. All settings exactly the same as the manual. ModScan32 shows replies are recieved, but no fluctuation in data (even when using a 10V range and connecting a 9V battery accross the input).

Once code is written, my procedure is build, check for errors, stop, refresh, download (including boot program), cold start.

Bandit

Hi please kindly refer to the attach example which demonstrate how to move local I/O value to Modbus address. There are some learning curve on how to figure out the corresponding KW I/O address and the Modbus address.

You can use the Modbus mapping excel file to figure out the relationship.

Thanks.

[ Last edited by Jason.Ng at 2009-9-16 01:26 ]

Thanks for your additional assistance. The excel file confirms my understanding of the modbus address relationship. The gif image looks like what I'm doing in multiprog, though I have only been trying an analog input (%MW3.0 to MB42001). I see you are using RS485 and I'm using TCP/IP.

Using your attached project (with my modules moved to the correct slots) I'm able to read the digital inputs on the A5050.

I still can't read the Analogue inputs on the A5017P. I see there are a number of locations for jumper links on the A5017P. J1 to J8 are three pin headers behind the input connector and seem to be to select some on board 120ohm resistors for current measurement. SW1 and J10 headers are also present. At the moment none of these is linked - should they be? I can't find any reference to how these links should be configured in the documentation.

Best Regards,

Bandit

Hi,

The SW1 and JP10 control functions of the ADuC848 controller, they are used by the factory when the card is built.

JP1 through JP8 control the resistor needed when the input is put in mA mode.  When the jumper is across pins 1 and 2 it is in mA mode, when across pins 2 and 3 or not installed it is in Volts mode(default).

Also the datasheet for the ADAM-5017P has the attached note at the bottom:  (this may be why it doesn't work)

[ Last edited by ben.morgan at 2009-9-10 10:29 ]

Hi ben.morgan, thanks for your continued interest in my posts.

I'd just returned to the forum to post having found the same note on the same datasheet.

If anyone else can confirm that the 5017P isn't compatable with my Adam 5510EKW/TP I'd be greatful. You can be sure I'll be chasing my supplier up on the issue too. Oddly enough they can't view the forum - it's blocked on their network!

No jumpers fitted to this board, so that's correct for the voltage measurements I'm making. I wish the manual was as detailed as you are!

Time to find an alternative solution for if our suspicions are confirmed...

Best Regards.

Bandit

Thanks for sticking with the product so far.

I'm not sure if the 5017P isn't hardware compatible or if it's a softlogic library that doesn't handle it.  I noticed it when I tried to add the card to a KW project and it wasn't available.

The ADAM-5017H is a similar card, that does work with the 5510KW series.  It has a lot of the same voltage ranges and allows distinct channel configuration.  http://download.advantech.com/download/downloadlit.aspx?LIT_ID=1-LGLLA

The biggest difference is that the 5017H is a 12bit card versus the 5017P, which is 16bit resolution.  That means the returned value is 0-4096 on a given channel. (the 5017P does 0-65536)

Hi ben.morgan,

Well thanks to you and Jason.Ng too for sticking with me so far.

I have discovered we have some older Adam-5017 modules here that will probably do most of what we require, so I'm going to try them next in the 5510EKW/TP chassis. It may be middle of next week though, I'm out of the office most of the time for the next few days.

I had noticed there wasn't a selection for 5017P in the project, assumed the plain old 5017 selection was generic, wish I had asked sooner, but it would have been my next post if I hadn't found the data sheet.

I'll let you know how it works out. At least with the assistance I have received through this forum the rest of the kit is functional.

Best Regards,

Bandit.

Quick search in Advantech Support Portal